Friday, August 9, 2013

I'm back!

Well for all of you who haven't heard, I've made it back to Alaska safe and sound! After a 4:45 am wake up time and flying all day yesterday and arriving in Dillingham at about 4 pm, I'm here - excausted, but here! It was a pretty uneventful day of traveling which was nice but I arrived to a rainy, cool day and today is no different. Yesterday evening after dinner at the Special Ed directors house - which was chili and cornbread - my very first meal in Port Heiden as well - with numerous other staff members from the district, Megan, Diane (who used to teach in Port Heiden actually :)) and I walked around Dillingham and snapped some pictures and explored. I'm hoping that the weather gets a little nicer before we have to leave so I get a chance to really take in the beauty but I won't let the rain and mist keep me from getting out and exploring!

After crashing hard last night around 9:30 pm, this morning I woke up at 6 and was getting ready to head to our first day of inservice! It's been a long day full of information, papers, food and even a new macbook for the school year but it's all great information! Just a little overwhelming to say the least. We got done there around 4:15 or so and then I just took a little down time before we headed out to explore and grab some dinner at one of the local restaurants. We went out walking in Dillingham again and stopped at some of the stores, etc. Then a bunch of us piled into a van and went to the chinese place down by the airport. It was a nice night out with some of the new teachers to the district. I even got to see Tisha & Amber from Port Heiden which was a nice surprise!

We're now back at the "condo" that I'm staying at. Because there's so many teachers in town for inservice and there's not enough Bed and Breakfasts/hotels in town, there's about 8 of us staying here at the "condo" right next to the district offices. I'm in a room with six beds in it, and then there are three other rooms here and only two bathrooms.... all these girls and two bathrooms! Mornings are a little difficult to say the least. I think I'm going to shower tonight this time so that there's not as much going on in the morning....

Here are some of my pictures so far, I'm hoping to have more to come but I'll share what I have.


One of the three stores in the town - groceries and other odds and ends! 
 Fireweed - such a pretty flower that you can make jam out of!
 Pretty view! 
 Looking down the street in Dillingham. These paintings in the fish are painted by a local artist and they are so bright and beautiful.



I'm not too sure what body of water this is other than it's a lake in Dillingham! 

Tomorrow is another day of inservice but I hear that we're taking a field trip down to the beach and will do some fishing which I am VERY excited about. I'll be sure to take some pictures. My camera is about to die and I left my charger at home BUT I've got my cell phone that can take pictures so that's my plan! 

:) Let the adventure begin! 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your time in Dillingham! Looks like an interesting place to explore.

    I'm sending a "care package" with your camera charger in. Hope it arrives sooner rather than later and is waiting for you when you get to your village!

    <3

    ReplyDelete