Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday is Friday this week!

I know it's been quite a while... but just a quick update before school starts this morning! It's only Thursday but for my kids, it's Friday! Tomorrow is a day off for them and an inservice day for us. Then starts a busy weekend of scoring for the volleyball tournament! Then as soon as that ends, a student council retreat starts which we will be helping with! Busy, busy, busy! 

I just have a few pictures to update you with as well as some fun facts that I borrowed from Megan's blog that she posted. They're pretty neat facts and I thought you'd all enjoy them. So thanks to Megan for letting me steal them from her. :)


If you place Alaska, with all of its islands, on top of the “continental” United States, it spans from the Great Lakes to Texas, and from Florida to California.

At 591,000 square miles, Alaska is larger than Texas, California,and Montana combined.

The coastline of Alaska is longer than the coastline of the continental United States.

Of Alaska’s 3 million lakes, the largest (Lake Iliamna) is the size of Connecticut.

Alaska’s mainland is only 51 miles away from Russia.

Alaska has 17 of the 20 highest mountains in North America (Mt. McKinley is the highest at 20,320 feet).

Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867 for under 2 cents per acre.

The name “Alaska” comes from an Aleut word meaning “The Great Land”

Astronauts say they can see the 800-mile Trans-Alaska Pipeline from outer space.

Due to long summer days in Alaska, giant vegetables are common, such as a 98-pound cabbage recorded in 1990.

Alaska has two of the three biggest islands in the U.S. - Kodiak and Prince of Wales


 LeEsia took this picture the other morning. I took one as well but mine was with my phone and didn't turn out this amazing. I told her this needed to be framed. I'm a little bit obsessed with it! 
 We had a carnival at school the other night. It was filled with games, tons of kids, prizes, balloons, a light up cowboy hat and at the end of the night, a pie to the face. A few staff members volunteered to get a pie in the face to raise money for the school. Each staff member had a bucket and if someone wanted to pie them, they would put their name on the back of the ticket and put it in the bucket. At the end of the night, we all picked a ticket out of our buckets and that person got to pie us. It was a fun, but tiring night. 

These next two pictures are for anyone that read my blog while I was in Port Heiden. This is the house down in old village that was hanging off the cliff. The house that my mom's float came from underneath and the one that I had numerous pictures of. Recently, this house and another one or two took the fall. It makes me really sad to see and to know those memories are now washed away. I am so thankful that a friend from the village posted these pictures so I could see them.... crazy how time can change things and how quickly erosion can occur. 

Macy has been good! And by good,  I mean she is doing well.. but she has been pretty naughty lately. We went about a week with only one accident and then all of a sudden it has stopped and it's almost back to square one. She's a stubborn little girl, that is for sure. But she is getting bigger and I still love her all the same. This picture was taken the day that she had about 6 accidents in the house... she spent most of the day in trouble and in her kennel, guess that really tired her out. 


For anyone that is wondering, Macy and I will be heading home in about 36 days! Absolutely crazy how time is flying... can't wait to see everyone. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment