Friday, May 31, 2013

Sunshine and warm weather

After many tears, a sleepless night and about 10 hours flying/in an airport, I've made it home to PA. Not surprising, saying good-bye to Kasie was the hardest one of them all. We tried not to make a scene in front of security in the airport when she dropped me off and I think we did a pretty good job. It was probably me walking down the airport to find my gate bawling that had every one staring. But I survived and made it through most of my over night flight as well as my morning flight, only to cry again when I landed at home. I was pretty much an emotional wreck and add to that only 1 hour of sleep (on a plane) and it was bad news. But I was glad to be greeted by my parents... whom I missed!

BUT before we said good-bye, I was able to spend a few days in town. Kasie and I spent Friday night visiting with Paula who works for the district, and a friend of hers. It was nice to hang out and relax. Saturday was a full day of shopping - spending entirely too much money. We got a lot of shopping done in and had a lot of fun doing it. Sunday was spent grocery shopping and tote packing, then the usual trip to the post office. Doing that is something that I miss... to most people, it's a hassle and don't get me wrong, it isn't the most fun thing to do while in town but I enjoy those grocery and post office trips!

We were able to stay with our good friends Kitza and Mike who live outside of Anchorage a little bit. They are two amazing people that we met when they were substituting in Port Heiden while Alecia and Jerik were away having little Tate. We spent a lot of time with them visiting and they showed us around the area... even took us up to Matanuska Glacier which we were able to hike up and in! It was amazing. To top off the great time, the weather was amazing! It even got into the 80s at one point... sunny and beautiful the whole time. We even took Kitza's convertible out everywhere. I would have never thought I'd be riding in a convertible in Alaska wearing only a sweatshirt? I spent some time with some of the LPSD staff members at a Memorial Day picnic. As I've said before, this district is full of amazing people. There's not another like it, I'm certain of that.

Matanuska Glacier
Convertible riding in the gorgeous weather. 
On the start of the Glacier 
Water moving extremely fast throughout the Glacier.
Hatcher Pass... 360 degree views. Standing in the middle of the mountains. At the top, there is an old gold mine called Independence mine. When the mountains aren't covered in snow, you can see the old mining caves.

Before I left, Jeff, Kasie and I with the help of Derek, jumped in the Bering Sea. I'm so glad that I can say I did that. At the time, I couldn't feel my legs but we ran in, went under and ran quickly back out. As soon as we got out, Derek pointed to a whale that was out a little farther. I can say that I swam in the Bering Sea with the whales... or at least that is what basically happened. ; )
 
Last day of school with these crazy kids... I'll miss them so much.  
 
 
I loved working with the middle schoolers every day... and although you may not be able to tell, they loved it too. : )
I'm missing this handsome puppy so, so much.  He hung out with me while I packed!
 
Going to make a fire with Kasie!
We make a darn good fire. : )
Last day on the beach, right after we swam!  
I love these three and I don't know what I would have done without them. Whether they like it or not, they're all stuck with me now!

Being back home has left me with mixed feelings. I'm very happy to see my family and catch up... I've missed all of these crazy people. ; ) However, I am really missing Alaska. I know that I've only been home a few days, but I'm beginning to think that I need to make my way back there. I've been told by numerous people while up there that once you get a little Alaska in you, you'll be back. I'm learning now that that has to be true. It's time for me to head back to AK....

1 comment:

  1. I cried when I read this (you're not surprised, I'm sure). I'm soooo glad you had such an amazing and life-changing experience. We all knew you would be fabulous in Alaska. Really anywhere you go you will be fabulous! I know how much you love Port Heiden and these people. I'm glad you blogged so we could share the journey with you. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete