Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The countdown is going quick...

Just a quick post with some pictures! Sorry it's been so long since I've posted... its been busy and I'm soaking up all the time I can here since the countdown is on and it's a little over a week until I fly out of Port Heiden.
 
Yesterday Derek, Justine (who is the artist that has been in town for two weeks to do the mural with the kids) and I went on a ride down to the beach. On our way back, we rode up ontop of the bluffs along the beach... the views were pretty amazing!
 
I've spent my free time recently helping with the mural. It's a good thing I love painting so much and it's awesome to think that this huge sign that will be hung on the outside of the school for years will have my paintings on them. Well, not just mine! The other teachers and the kids, too. : ) I have pictures of that process, too and will update when the mural is done on Friday!
 
On top of the bluffs, this is the trail we followed for most of the way. Until it dropped off the edge...
This view is just one more reason I love this place. You can see for miles!

Laying on the beach, enjoying the little bit of sun and the sound of the waves... it makes me so happy!
On top of the bluffs, we came up on an Eagle's nest. They weren't happy with us but they sure are beautiful.  
Miles and miles of Bering Sea....  
Laying on the beach next to bear tracks, watching the Eagles and Seagulls fly above us, a fox running around behind us and a seal swimming out in front of us... I still can't believe it.  
The beach full of pumice meeting up with the tundra and Aniakchak in the distance. 
One of my favorites... signs of warmer weather along the shore of the Bering Sea! Each time I go out, this green grass gets a little taller!
 
Painting their animals on the mural... 
 
 
 
Karina got done with her bear there so we were doing the flowers!
 
This mural is huge and it's going to hang outside on the school. Around the outside, their are land animals, ocean animals and types of birds - all of Port Heiden. Each kid got to do their own animal and when they have been getting done, they've been helping with other parts of the mural. It's awesome to see how excited they get about doing this. I love it so much so it's nice to see that some of them share that love. They're having fun with it and it's turning out awesome!
Tonight, the community members are free to come help paint! It should be fun.
 
This is the first morning in a few days that the sun has been shining when I woke up. Looks like it's going to be a gorgeous day. : )
 


No comments:

Post a Comment