Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Thoughts!


Over my past year and a half of living in Alaska, I have learned more than I could ever imagine. If you asked me when I was younger, in high school even, where I’d be living and what I’d be doing after college, I would have told you that I would graduate from college, move back home, live and teach in central PA and stay there the rest of my life. Boy, I couldn’t of ever imagined how different my life would be.

I’m sure I’ve rambled on about this in previous posts, especially around the time that I was leaving Port Heiden last year. And maybe that’s what’s bringing all this back up since I’ll be leaving Manokotak. The past few nights I haven’t been able to sleep, giving me a ton of hours to lay there and think – entirely too much time if you ask me – I’d much rather be sleeping!

I got to thinking about how much this experience in Alaska has taught me and how different I am from when I first came up to this amazing state…. In my eyes, a good different.  Obviously, I’ve grown up. I was 22 when I first came to Alaska and here I am, 24 when I’ll be leaving; but aside from getting older, I’ve grown up in other ways. I’ve got a full time job, I live in my own apartment and pay rent each month, I pay my bills and take care of & pay for Macy all in a small, rural village in Alaska.. There are some days that I look around, maybe on a walk or out for a ride, and I still cannot believe that I live here and do all this on my own. Like I said before, it’s tough living the whole way across the country from my family and doing this all on my own but I’ve learned I CAN do it and I can do it well.

I’ve learned so much about Alaska in general, the Yupik culture here in KMO and I’ve eaten foods that I wouldn’t of dreamed about eating back in PA. Luckily for me, I love trying new things and am always up for interesting food – most of which I’ve grown to love and some people still can’t believe I’ve eaten.  Aside from all of the stuff I’ve learned up here, the amount of stuff I’ve learned even TRAVELING here and there taught me so much. I’ve now flown across the country a few times and when I’m by myself, it’s a piece of cake – assuming that I get to the right gate which usually happens. ; ) But add Macy into the mix and man is it different. I’ve got to carry her huge crate, my duffle bag & carry on and manage to keep her from going to visit every single stranger we pass. (She’s clearly a very friendly puppy.) Not to mention having to take her to a different building to check her in or pick her up. It was so much easier when I was flying with someone and he was able to carry Macy & her crate while I carried the bags, much easier of course but all this flying has made me realize that I can do it on my own! I got stuck in a city that I’ve never been to before for four days with Macy. I’ve taken taxis on my own now – because I’ve had no choice. I have always been afraid of taxis – you get in a car with a stranger in a place you don’t know and trust that they’ll get you to where you need to be, safely. I can’t say that I now love it BUT I’ve done it, in a snow storm even and one of the times was at midnight! Scary, but I can do it. I know it may not sound like much to anyone else but I could of never imagined that I’d be able to do this all on my own. Of course, I’ve got the best family in the world which helps me with so much and I don’t know what I’d do with out all of them, but I’ve been in these types of situations where I’ve got to do things on my own and it makes me happy to know what if I get stranded in a random city during a Polar Vortex again, I’d be able to survive. ; )

I’m so beyond thankful for this state, the people in this state and ALL that it’s showed me and taught me. Part of my heart will always be in Alaska.  And who knows, maybe I’ll be back. I came back before and I know for sure that once you get a little Alaska in you, you’ll always come back. I was told that before I left Port Heiden and here I am – it’s true! I’ve been told twice now “I hope you find a handsome, handsome husband who brings you back here” …. We will see!

Until then, here's some pictures! It's staying light until almost 10:15 and it is now light in the morning when I come to school at 7:20! Love that - however, I lose track of time now in the evening and end up going to bed later than planned. Something I remember from PTH, too.

 A ride out with Lauren, Chloe & some dogs down to Weary River! Beautiful, chilly day. All of this snow is pretty much gone and the rivers are opened up - no more sno go riding! It is too dangerous. In fact, someone fell right in the river about a week ago and swamped their sno go. Scary! 

 These next pictures are from Migrant Ed night at the school. That just means that all of the families that travel for the summer to fish qualify for Migrant Ed and they can all come to different nights we have at the school. We did science experiments, made snow & slime and ate pizza! 
 My beautiful Ivory ring! I was so excited to get this. I'm so thankful that someone in the village could make me one and it's so amazing. There's the heart in the middle and two flowers on either side with a vine and leaves that go the whole way around it! 
 More Migrant Ed night! 


That's all for now. We've been interrupted by SBA testing for three days and a Friday off after that. I've been battling a cold, packing and getting things together, all while enjoying the last month or so with my kids. I cannot believe how fast this year has gone. My first real classroom, my first group of kids.... almost over. 


47 days until I come home. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment