Friday, March 29, 2013

Fountain soda in King Salmon, AK : )

My list of places that I've been in Alaska is slowly, but surely growing! Although only by a little at a time my list includes Anchorage, Girdwood - where Alyeska is, Port Heiden, Chignik Bay and now I can add King Salmon to that list. And that's not including a few villages that I've landed in but haven't gotten out of the plane...
 
 
I'm spending a few hours here in King Salmon while I wait for my next flight into Anchorage which is at 7:30. King Salmon is where the district office is located and if you're flying in or out of the south, you usually have to stop here before heading up North. So today my flight left Port Heiden, took a brief stop at another village to pick someone else up and then it dropped me off here! I got to eat some dinner at a tiny little place called Eddie's that I've heard so much about... I finally got a fountain soda and it was as good as I had hoped for after three months. : ) Then I was lucky enough to come hang out here at the district office while I wait for my flight in a few hours. I've also gotten to meet a lot of the folks that work here in the office for the district and visit with a few that I haven't seen since my first stop in Alyeska back in January. I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever met so many nice people. I often say, and my parents can attest to this, that everyone that I've met along the way in this journey and everyone in this district are always so nice and welcoming. I don't think I'll ever come across a group of people quite like this. : ) Well, I haven't actually mentioned it but I'm flying into Anchorage for the night and the day tomorrow. It's a last minute - quick trip into town to get some things taken care of and then I'll be flying back into King Salmon tomorrow night. I'll spend the night here and then head back to Port Heiden on Sunday... and one thing that was really nice about this last minute trip is that Kasie is already in Anchorage, so I'll meet up with her and actually fly back with her tomorrow and Sunday. Just a little perk of this trip!
 
 
Back tracking a little bit, yesterday's weather was pretty nice considering that the beginning of the week started out almost in the negatives, so Jeff, Derek and I decided to head out. Which was a really good thing because I was having some major cabin fever! I'd say the temperature was about 45 degrees - give or take - and there was sun! It was pretty perfect. On top of that, we hit the beach at low tide so the beach was wide open, no ice and the sun was shining... I've learned that it doesn't get much better than that. I honestly think that I could go out almost every day and be happy! We went down the beach and crossed North River - which has changed looks since we were last there. Since the tide was so far out, the river was low enough that we were able to cross it without any problems. Then we rode for miles down the beach... we ended up going up to the top of these bluffs where we sat and talked and just took it all in for awhile. These bluffs were up extremely high and you could look out in every direction and see for MILES... it was unbelievable. We sat there while the sun was setting and looked out over the beach and the ocean. That was exactly what I needed - fresh air, friends and some down time outside by the ocean. Since it's been staying light out until almost 9:30, we were able to be out a decent amount of time before we had to head on back. Unfortunatly for all of you, I forgot my camera once again. However, that just means that since I'll be here longer, I'll have to get back out to that spot before I leave in May. : )
 
 
Today, as I was leaving school and all the kids were saying bye and some of them even going as far as saying that they'd miss me very much, and then getting on the plane, I got sad. And I'm going to be back on Sunday? Is that pathetic, it might be. BUT it made me think about how glad I am that I'm going to be able to stay for two more months because I'm just not ready to leave yet. And then when that day does come, it'll be a sad one, that's for sure.
 
Another thing that I'm thankful for? Skype. That may be the best thing invented for trips like these. If it wasn't for that, I'd not be able to see my family or maybe even talk to them for so long. I don't know who came up with it but thank you, to them!
 
I know this post was a bunch of random thoughts thrown together but that's pretty much how my mind works sometimes and I thought I'd just share. : ) State testing starts this coming week so it'll be a little different feel in the school, I'm sure... then we will see how my schedule changes for the next two months!
 
 
I have a few pictures of my trip here today, however, they're on my iPhone because that was more convienent than my camera and it doesn't have service here or wifi so I can't upload those yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow! I'll get them up soon, I promise!
 
 
Happy Easter, everyone. : ) My family better not have too much fun without me! 

1 comment:

  1. You know we will miss you at Easter...it won't be the same without you, definitely a little quieter! ;)

    Oh and don't worry, I will make sure to eat your share of the deviled eggs so they don't go to waste! haha

    Glad you enjoyed the fountain soda in King Salmon and I'm sure you will have a few more while in Anchorage. It's nice Kasie will be there to have a fountain soda with you - I know it's something you will both enjoy!

    I'm very thankful that everyone you've encountered on this trip has been so wonderful and is always looking out for you! It makes it a little easier for me to be on the other side of the country from you!

    We will touch base on Easter - maybe we can even Skype!

    Safe travels -
    <3

    ReplyDelete