Friday, February 22, 2013

Honda rides are my favorite!

Thursday night this week turned out to be an eventful one! We went for a girl's ride after school today... Alecia, Kasie & I. We were planning to go out to the beach but the "road" to get out there proved to have other plans for us. After attempting it and having to push the four wheelers out of the snow that was up to our knees, we decided that we'd wait on that one. So instead we went down to old village & were able to just walk on the beach from there. It's a little different looking than the last time I was on the beach. Now, the ocean is frozen up. It's pretty unreal to be out on the beach and not hear the waves or even see them.
 
 
 
We saw caribou on that ride, and a little fox was eyeing us up while we were exploring old village - he was a little curious about us!
 


We also explored old village a little bit, I have too many pictures to put up here but here are a few...

This is the house that I've posted before from up top that's hanging over the cliff and will fall soon. This is from the bottom looking up this time!
This little house is right on the edge of going down soon. Apparently, one of the grandma's here in the village was born in that house. The picture below is taken in one of the two tiny rooms of the house...
That's the old school. And below is the enterance to the old school... creepy!
 
After we got back to the school, I left to come home to eat dinner and as I was pulling out of the school, I saw a snow machine go flying by and once I looked a little harder, I saw that it was chasing something black - immediatly I realized it was a black wolf. I slowly followed the snow machine (who was in the tundra) and eventually I stopped the truck on the road to watch. Morgan, who is the same guy that shot the bear and another wolf the other night, was the one on the snow machine & he shot the wolf he was chasing! So I was sitting there when he brought it over to the road... at this point, there was about 5 trucks in a line parked on the road too. When someone is out hunting for a wolf or a bear, the villagers follow along in their trucks just waiting for the moment that it's killed.
This one that was killed was a rather small female and they were telling me that there's still a larger male roaming around that they want to get next! I was glad I was there at that moment so I got to see all of this happen!
 
Today was a good, not too eventful Friday at school. After school I got to hang out with my little Valentine, Tate for the afternoon and some of the kids during culture club! Then, before I headed home for the night, there was a few caribou walking behind the school. Madi and I decided to sneak out back to take some pictures. After trudging through snow that was past our knees - while I was in my short sorell's and jeans - we were able to be quiet enough to get a few pictures before they heard us and ran away. I'm pretty happy with the pictures I got : )
 
 
 
Tonight is a night of relaxing on the couch with my down blanket and sweats... a much needed Friday night! And then tomorrow I'm thinking I'll head out to get some air. I'm so grateful that Kasie & Derek are letting me borrow their four wheelers while they're away for the weekend so I can get out. I know I say it ALL the time and every one is probably tired of hearing about it but this place is amazing!  : )
 


No comments:

Post a Comment