Sunday, February 24, 2013

Laundry, dishes, cleaning AND some fun : )

Sundays seem to come entirely too quickly for me. Another weekend has come to an end but it was a good AND productive weekend for me!

After going to bed at 9 pm on Friday and sleeping until 9:15 the next morning, I was pretty much caught up on my sleep and it was really great! Saturday was a gorgeous morning so I decided that I needed to get out. I ended up spending my morning with Heiden and we took a ride down to old village & the beach... got a nice walk in & it was really nice to enjoy the sun and sit on the beach for a little while. Anyone that knows me, knows I could spend hours on the beach - and a beach in Alaska is no exception!

I took some pictures and I was really shocked to see how much it had changed just since my trip down there on Thursday...  No more frozen ocean!


After some thinking/relaxing time down there, we made our way back. I came home and the middle schoolers that I work with every day were across the street playing outside with their younger brothers and sisters and my innocent little walk across the street to say hi turned into a "let's attack Miss N with snow balls" snow ball fight. Needless to say, I was out numbered. Three of them throwing them at me, a kindergartener throwing them at me and two preschoolers wrapped around my legs. I think I got more hits to the face and over the head in that half hour than I have my whole life. BUT, it was a fun time with them and if nothing else, they enjoyed it. : )

When I called the snow ball fight quits because I was soaked and cold, one of the villagers wives & their daughter came by with another wolf in the back of the truck that had just been shot over the hill from where we were playing. Another smaller black female... she said there were a few more still roaming around. I feel like it's never ending but I'm very anxious to see this big guy that they keep talking about!



I decided I need a trip to the store for some soda, of course. I may be in a small, remote village in Alaska but I still need some soda. ; ) So I made a trip down there and picked up a few other things, as usual. I can't just go in there for one thing - I ALWAYS come out with more than what I need.

I went out on a ride with Jeff and Heiden that afternoon. And again, thanks for Kasie & Derek for letting me borrow their four wheeler, it was so much fun. We drove out through the tundra and were going to try to get up the hill towards Trapper Hill (which is where all the wolves are) but after we made it across the swamp and tundra, we got halfway up the hill and realized that it was more work - us getting on and off the four wheelers, pushing and getting out of holes, etc - that we called it quits and went back down. However, it was so much fun. It was my first time driving the four wheeler on anything but the road and I must say, I can hold my own pretty well. It made me want one 10x more. I honeslty think I could spend all day on those four wheelers and be completely happy! Even attempting to get up a hill full of holes and bumps. We decided to take the roads up to Trapper Hill then and got to see some amazing views! Signs of wolves, but we didn't actually see any of those. We took a small trail to the other side of the hill and stood and watched probably over 100 caribou in the distance... this place is full of places to explore and views that are pretty amazing!

This picture - as most of them - doesn't give the same effect as actually being there. It was so much prettier than the picture makes it seem.


After a few loads of laundry both last night and today, some cleaning & a lot of dishes, this place is pretty picked up and I even got some muffins made. Now, it's off to dinner at Alecia & Jerik's with little Tate before I head into school to get some things done before another week comes tomorrow morning!

On another note, Spring Break starts on Friday and that means a trip to the Bay (another village) for a few days with Kasie and Derek to visit Amber and Kaleb - they were in Anchorage with us to help us get ready & shopping so I got to meet them then! Then it's a few days off in Port Heiden and it's carnival time - which is a few days long & I'm not sure what all it has in store but it sounds pretty fun. : ) Lot's to look forward to!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marisa! It is Mrs. St. Cyr. Your grandma Sally gave me this address today at Sunday School. I have never been to Alaska and was thrilled with your opportunity to work there. I am an elementary librarian this year with Red Mill, Newberry and Fairview ES. It is way different than Crossroads. I guess I was spoiled being in one place for 20 years! I wish you the best experience there you could have and look forward to seeing more posts and photos. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. St. Cyr,

      Thanks for the nice things you said about my blog! I love to hear that people are enjoying reading it. I am doing it to keep every one informed but also for myself when I want to look back at my time up here. I bet the middle school position is a lot different than your new position with the Elementary schools. Hope you're enjoying it! Take Care : )

      Delete