Saturday, January 26, 2013

From turkey to caribou...

This morning after we worked out at the school, we were able to watch a group of caribou walking near the school. This wasn't the first time that I've seen them from a distance  but it was the first time they were close enough that I could zoom with my camera and actually tell what they were instead of tiny specks. And of course I had my camera with me because I carry it everywhere I go up here!

So we watched them walk and they eventually got closer to the school. Then it was almost as if they were setting up a perfect picture for us. They slowly but surely made their way to the back of the school that just so happens to make a perfect back drop. Once they got close enough, Jeff, Kasie and I decided to head outside and try to sneak up on them to take pictures. Another piece of information for you: it's about 5-7 degrees today with 20 mph winds which means it's basically in the negatives here and oh my can you tell! Anyways, so we quietly and slowly went out the back door and stood on the steps and took pictures.  Then we were able to run to the side of the one shed and peak around it. They were just on the backside of that shed so we were SO close. It was unreal. There were two huge bucks which apparently are called bulls and then a few others.

I had to share these pictures with you because I'm so thankful that I had this experience! It's crazy that just last night I was looking at pictures of my backyard at home that was filled with turkeys and the occasional deer and I was showing them to Jeff and Kasie and today, I look outside here and there's at least 35 caribou outside my back window!

Hope you all like them as much as I do :)



& I didn't zoom on that one. I was THAT close to them. :)

Last but not least, my favorite picture of the day.... 




Now it's time to get see what/if anything is going on for tonight. :)



1 comment:

  1. WOW! That one with the mountains in the background is beautiful!!!!!! Looks like a picture in National Geographic!

    ReplyDelete