Friday, January 18, 2013

Pizza party

Well, my first week of school in the village is over! I must say, it was a pretty good week. I don't have to reiterate how the people here are, since I say it in every single post, haha. But that has helped! Today was a very laid back day. As I said last night, school ended early today - as it does every Friday. I found out that we start five minutes early every day so that we can take that time and leave early on Fridays. However, I actually left later today than I have all week, I think, haha. After the kids left at 1:30, we had intervention meetings and professional developments, etc. In those meetings though, the long term sub and her husband who's been working at the school too (they're actually my neighbors - nice people!) brought moose sausage, cheese, crackers and dried, smoked salmon to snack on. This was my first experience with both the sausage and the dried salmon. The sausage was great, I really liked that with a cracker and cheese - or even by it's self! It was really good. The dried salmon, I ate it and I would maybe eat it again but I can't say I loved it like everyone else did. I'm really glad that I tried it though. I know my dad's jealous :) So needless to say, I ate quite a bit of moose sausage while sitting there during these meetings.

After the meeting, Kasie and I ran out of the school to try to make it to Jack's before it closed. Jack's is the convienent store in the village. I actually pass it on my way to and from school every single day and wouldn't of had any idea. For anyone that knows what the little store in Goldsboro looks like, it's identical to that! I loved it. And maybe that's why? Because it reminds me of home. Who knows! So I bought eggs, cream cheese, a drink, brownies to make, mint cookies that Paulene recommended that taste like thin mints, an almond joy bar, ritz and I think that may be it... you know, all really healthy things ;) So my bill was $28 which for a tiny store in a village in Alaska, I didn't think that was too bad. Now, there were a few things I looked at - pickles for instance - that were $10 and I declined those on this trip at least. But it was a friendly place and the cook at the school was working so it was nice to see a face I know and also nice to meet others! Even ran into two of the little boys from school there, getting some soda!

Tonight, as I think I said in last night's post, we are making homemade pizza! Well, Kasie, Derek and Jeff usually do that and I'm along for the ride now! I even contributed pepperoni. So I'm looking forward to that tonight.

Tomorrow, we are having a get together with the staff, so when I say staff, I mean Kasie, Derek, Jeff, Pat, Paulene and their daughters and Kitza & Mike (the subs) and we're having it at my place! So needless to say, I have to do some picking up tomorrow, haha. But I'm excited to have everyone over! I'm going to make some taco dip & brownies - hence my trip to the store. Everyone will bring stuff over. So it'll be nice to have some company at my place for the evening ;)

I think tomorrow my plan is to sleep in. My sleeping in skills don't really work anymore so I'm hoping I at least don't see the clock until 8! I've been going to bed by 9 every night and passing out, so maybe tonight if I'm up later, that'll help! I can't tell if I'm just that exhausted or if the time change is still catching up with me... who knows! I'll probably get used to it just in time for me to leave!

Kasie took a picture of me the other day while on the shore at the Bering sea and I was able to get it from her so here that is for you. I'm not looking my best but it's the memory that counts :)



Well, that's it for now! We're taking a break from excersizing today, which is probably good since I can't move already, and going to leave the school soon to go hang out for awhile. It's been chilly & windy up here but it looks like tomorrow should be a little warmer. We shall see :)


3 comments:

  1. Is it the same daylight/sunset as PA? I've read that they have 6 months of darkness and 6 months of sunlight? My friend from high school lives in Barrow which is the northernmost village! Enjoying your posts! So proud of your accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat that Jack's is very similiar to the little store here! It sounds like it might be a little more expensive though! haha Do they have the penny candy like the candy cigarettes and candy lipstick like you used to buy here? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look awesome : ) I enjoy reading your blog even though I live these moments with you : ) Great to have YOU here in Port Heiden, Marisa!

    ReplyDelete