Saturday, January 12, 2013

Packing, packing, packing...

So up until this point, I've had mixed feelings about this packing food for three months thing. Well yesterday we went shopping all day, literally ALL day and after spending $520, which is really good, I was actually really happy and thinking that I'd be okay to pack all this food and ship it to the village. Well that stopped quickly last night, haha. After dinner it was about 10 pm here and we had been on the go since 7:30 yesterday morning and we had to pack our totes. Or I would call them rubbermade containers for those of you who don't know what I mean about totes. Anyways, we had to pack them but not just anyway we want. Theres a tote that has all your freeze and chill stuff in it - so your stuff that is frozen and then stuff like cheese and sour cream that just needs to be kept cold. All that is in one tote and we have that sitting outside over nights. Then two other totes (or three or four, depending on how much you bought) are filled with the dry stuff, cans and all that. BUT those won't get here for about 1-2 weeks, so you have to take stuff out of that stash and stuff it in your suitcases so you have enough to eat for those 1-2 weeks before your totes arrive. Stressful... AND on top of that, all the frozen and chill stuff that is in the tote outside, has to be taken out of that tote and put into your suitcases to take with you on the plane. So basically, if that was hard to follow - because it has been for me, I had to buy a huge rubbermade bin and fill it with clothes and shoes that I took out of my suitcases to make room for food in my suitcases. That huge bin with my clothes and everything will be shipped to my house as well but won't get there for 1-2 weeks (hopefully). Then I will have three normal size totes that are filled with dry food and three suitcases full of frozen/cold food, some dry food, and clothes. AND on top of that, there's weight limits on the totes and on the bags so they have to be under a certain weight and the packing has to be strategic. It's just a very lengthy, overwelming process that would take some getting used to.

Luckily, everyone here that is helping us is so great. And we're having a lot of fun. We are staying in this huge house - very pretty - that we all fit in. We are having a lot of fun, too! Like I said in my previous post, almost every staff from my village is here with us so I've gotten to meet them all and hang out with them and they are all amazing so it's making me very excited.

Tomorrow is the big day to leave for our village. Last minute shopping today for a few things - including jelly because mine disappeared yesterday? Then it's shipping of our totes and a nice relaxing last night in civilization. :)

Feel free to send me any supplies at any point while I'm gone. Not that I didn't buy enough of my own ;) But, I hear flat rate boxes are like Christmas morning up there!

Talk to everyone soon, miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I would have a hard time deciding what clothing I wouldn't need/want for 1-2 weeks! You probably had the same problem! haha Thank goodness the staff was there to help since I'm sure they are kind of pros at it. Glad you are having a good time! <3

    ReplyDelete